What is God Doing?
Why are the Ten Commandments So Important?
We have seen that it is those who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ, who are the object of God's love and Satan's wrath.
They have an allegiance to God that is unshakable and if we look at the writings of John, we see that God's people do what they do because they love God!
- If you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15
If we love Jesus, we will choose to worship Him by doing all that He asks us to do.
- He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."
- Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, "Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?"
- Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
- He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me. John 14:15,21-24
It is those who love Jesus so much that they do what He asks them to do, to keep His commandments, that have this special connection with God. Those of us who Love and keep His commandments will have God manifest Himself to us! God will especially come to make His home with us!
When asked what the greatest commandment was Jesus answered:
- Jesus said to him," `You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
- This is the first and great commandment.
- And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
- On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 22:37-40.
Again we see that all the commandments of God are based on Loving God and His creations. Below we see that Jesus spoke about the commandments so that His joy may remain in us. Love is very much connected with what we do, such as laying down our life for his friends!
- As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.
- If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
- These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
- This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
- Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
- You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. John 15:9-14.
It makes sense that we would serve God out of Love, that love for God would be the motivating force behind our actions. In the war against Satan, God could have used His power to destroy Satan and ensure that all the worlds would follow Him no matter what. However, it seems that God wants something more than just outward obedience. He obviously wants his creations to obey Him out of Love.
It is interesting that John, who saw the larger picture concerning the war between Jesus and Satan, is able to relate the commandments of God so well with Love.
- Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him.
- By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.
- For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
- For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith.
- Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:1-5.
We know elsewhere in the Bible that we are saved by faith. Yet, here we see that there is an outward sign, a sign that people can see, showing us that they are saved! This is it. There are two things. To have the love of God and keep His commandments.
John goes on to say that keeping His commandments is the love of God. So much so, that the commandments are not restrictive. We do not feel like we are being held back from what we really want to do, since we really want to please God and keep His commandments when God changes us.
- Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
- He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
- But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
- He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. 1 John 2:3-6.
The life of Jesus, when He was on earth, is an example to show us how to live. The things we do, show other people just how much we really know God.
So we can see that the ten commandments are at the core of our belief, right behind: Faith and trust in God, and His Grace toward us in saving us.
Keeping the commandments of God and having the testimony of Jesus evidently shows Satan well enough to know that he is not able to control them.
Satan has tried to get rid of the Fourth commandment
Some say that the Ten Commandments are not important anymore; However, Jesus seems to indicate the opposite:
- Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
- For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
- Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
- For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:17-20.
It should be clear to anyone who is aware of the intergalactic war between Jesus and Satan, that Satan would try to get people not to keep The Ten Commandments. If He can get people to ignore just one of the ten, he will have them as his.
While it is true that people are breaking all the commandments of God, Satan has made it seem that there is one commandment that does not make sense.
Most all people see the wisdom in the last six commandments. These commandments help keep law and order in any country.
It is in the first four commandments that we run into real problems. These commandments direct us of our duty to God.
- You shall have no other gods before Me.
- You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
While it is true that many break the first and the third commandments, they usually know what they are doing. They developed those habits while ignoring or hating God.
That is not true for many who break the second and fourth commandments. Many of these people have been taught by religious leaders to bow down toward images and pictures, and to keep the first day of the week holy, not the seventh day.
While God has told us not to bow down toward images or picture, a large portion of the Christian community does that very thing.
In spite of the fact that God specifically says He blessed the Seventh day holy because He created the world, and in spite of the fact that there is absolutely no record of any other day being observed as Sabbath in the Bible; Almost all of the Christian church is now observing the first day of the week, the day that is dedicated to the sun-god. Thus the name Sunday indicates itŐs paganistic roots.
In the dark ages, elements of paganism were introduced into the church and has since become traditional. These traditions have nothing to do with Bible truth and they also indicate that Satan has succeeded in separating most of the people of the world from God.
In this war between Jesus and Satan, the day we keep directly relates to whom we are serving. The Bible is extremely clear as to the day, and also as to why we should be keeping the Seventh-day as the Sabbath.
The history concerning Sunday observance is also clear, it relates to pagan sun-god observance and its followers are following the wishes of Satan in the day they have chosen to worship.
God makes concessions on the Biblical ignorance of His followers for now; However, as we can see in the scripture below, when we become aware of the truth and we realize what we are doing, God's people will choose to follow Him.
- Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say, `We see.' Therefore your sin remains. John 9:41
- Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. James 4:17
However, in the future, in his desperation, Satan will endeavor to force all the inhabitants of the world to follow him. When he does make Sunday an issue, he will force the whole world to observe his false day of worship. Look at this interesting scripture:
- He shall speak pompous words against the Most High, Shall persecute the saints of the Most High, And shall intend to change times and law. Then the saints shall be given into his hand For a time and times and half a time.
- But the court shall be seated, And they shall take away his dominion, To consume and destroy it forever. Daniel 7:25-26 NKJV
The phrase: and shall intend to change times and law, is an important one. Satan will try to change the law of God, possibly the fourth commandment. The 4th commandment is the only one based on time, so it is clear that Satan will attack the Sabbath in his last desperate fight against Jesus and His people.
In addition, Satan has already done a lot of work to have virtually the whole world worship on Sunday rather than Sabbath. Clearly, he has already set the ground work for his final act, when he plans to change times and law!
Satan was so sure that Job would choose to live rather than die but Job never failed. Satan is going to try the same thing in the last days, only harder. The righteous will have to choose to follow God even if it means death in this life.
So it does look like God made a Memorial of His creative power to help remind us who it is that created all things. The Seventh-Day Sabbath will become a world-wide issue in the years ahead, especially as the war between Jesus and Satan approaches the end.